Sunday 17 May 2020

From Lockdown to ? - Week 2 - Days 58 to 64

Unsettled weather creates a dramatic backdrop over Finca Tres Hermanos

There are times when certain thoughts between couples are best shared in the full conscious light of day and not last thing at night when you're about to drift off to sleep.  Last Sunday was just one of those times when something Scott muttered jolted me wide awake and ready to sit up and turn the light back on!

You see, one of the things we've talked about most since we got together is buying a motorhome some day and travelling.  It was while on one of our first dates that we discovered that this ambition was pretty high on both our lists. We've since planned when this might come to fruition.  So now, back to lying in bed last Sunday night, Scott muttering he now wasn't too sure he "wants a motorhome anymore", you might ask why that light remained off?  Well, it was late and we were tired so we mumbled in agreement to revisit the thought "tomorrow" when we were both  lucid. (Lucky for him it also meant he avoided being thumped with a pillow while it being suggested to him he might pick his moments better!)

When the light of day came I could see why he aired that thought though and I think I have to agree with it.  These last two months of lockdown has caused us both to recentre and we realise just how much we love spending time at home and pouring our combined energy into the upkeep of the house, more importantly the garden, and to our new hobby of bee keeping (another dream we've had in common).  The discussion on whether or not we end up with a motorhome some day will remain on the table for now. 

So as of tomorrow (Monday 18th May) Malaga moves to Phase 1 in Spain's deescalation. We're now permitted to meet up in groups of no more than 10 people, travel to our second homes, visit more shops other than just the supermarket, and visit bars and restaurants.  All of these 'privileges' come with strict caveats of course and one of those is that we must not travel between provinces.  This is all good news of course provided we remain vigilant and stick to the protocols but for reasons I've already stated we're not in a massive hurry to take advantage of these reestablished freedoms.  Home is still too comfortable a place right now.  That said, my personal trainer and I will take our first tentative steps back into my weight training next week (looking forward to that!) and we have our first meet up planned with the footy gang next Saturday over a takeway; the 10 of us keeping to safe social distances of course!  I shall miss our twice-weekly quiz nights on Houseparty though.  We've had a lot of fun broadening our quiz knowledge (but I must say I was in disbelief that no one could remember the name of the tower block where Del Boy and Rodney Trotter lived!  Of course, Carin is excused on account of being Dutch!)

Whilst I'm looking forward to getting back into regular training, our poolside 
workouts won't be neglected and will certainly be one lockdown tradition that will remain.


A good post-workout supper: salmon and prawn curry
(Recipes will appear shortly on a dedicated blog page but be warned, I'm a random 
cook and don't bother much with measures; I prefer to be surprised! lol)

On to this week's catch up:

Monday was a write off, well more like a train wreck really!  A recipe I had planned to use the remaining Navel oranges from our tree turned out to be a disaster, except that is for the blind baked flan base the oranges had been destined for.  By the time realisation had dawned that the orange and frangipane filling was going to hit the skids, the kitchen resembled a nuclear war zone, dinner was late and I was on the verge of a hormonal meltdown!  In order to salvage what remained of the day, I stood still, drew a deep breath in and tidied the kitchen. It's surprising how much better things look when neatness and order is restored!  Enter Mr Forbes who knocked up an egg and cheese quiche filling for the redundant flan base. It didn't feel right that I'd let him rescue dinner after he'd been out for the best part of the day fixing boilers and leaks but he insisted on taking over so I consoled myself by redirecting my energy to compiling my tax return.  It was fortuitous that Monday's dinner plan rolled over to Tuesday as the resultant unhurried schedule meant I had time to prepare something much better with the ingredients from the day before. 

Now, I do love to bake things (when the recipe comes out right!)  Mr Forbes informs me on a regular basis that he "needs something sweet".  I smile coquettishly and remind him that he has me but he just looks at me blankly and says: "cake is better". I'm beginning to wonder if he's not becoming just a tad spoiled?  Still, he's cute, so I'm happy to indulge him. But what to bake? 

When I was a girl, I would often beg my Mum to make a lemon drizzle cake and as we still have loads of lemons on our tree, the choice was an easy one.  As the kitchen filled with the scent of the lemons, it evoked a precious childhood memory of watching my Mum work her magic over her mixing bowl while I eagerly waited to lick the remnants of cake mixture off any utensil that had come into contact with it.  Now I was surprised some while ago to learn that Scott had missed out on this wonderful childhood experience so whenever I bake if he happens to be in the room at the right moment, he gets to lick the spoon before it hits the washing up bowl. Of course, when he isn't, it's all mine!  I'm trying to limit my bakes to just one a week but the lemon drizzle cake went fast so by Saturday another bake was needed and the recipe was adapted for a chocolate and lime version. That is destined not to last long either!

The beginnings of Lemon Drizzle cake (with eggs courtesy of the very kind Kathleen Millwood)
Campo currency being put to good use

A successful experiment with chocolate and lime: chocolate and lime drizzle traybake
(adapted from Mary Berry's lemon drizzle version)

The unsettled weather this week has meant being consigned a little more to indoors.  Now I don't know if I'm getting worse with age or if I suffer from a condition induced by lockdown fever?  Either way, I find myself wondering if I'm doing enough with my day?  If I sit down for longer than five minutes, I think I'm not being useful and then guilt (if that's what it is?) gets me up on my feet again, and I pace up and down staring at shelves, straightening anything that might have become askew.  It's all a little 'OCD'.  Then there are days when sitting down for even five minutes to grab a sandwich between jobs seems like a luxury!  I hate being idle but I'm also trying hard to accept that sometimes it's OK to just sit and do nothing for a while.  Of course, there are plenty of things one can do sitting down that are equally productive as they are relaxing.  During one particular attack of OCD this week I tidied my sewing cupboard and found some more elastic so I lifted my old and very faithful sewing machine out and made some more face masks for Scott (his old ones were getting a bit worn).  Rather than put it all away afterwards, I played with the machine's embroidery attachments (I'm ashamed to say at this point that in 30 years of owning my Singer, I've NEVER used it to embroider!)  Now that I'm getting on a bit, embroidery now seems "de rigueur" so I think I might just add this to my list of "stay at home" activities, although I think Scott might be worried that I'm about to start monogramming towels and socks.  He can, at least, be pleased that I've finally turned up a pair of jeans that he gave me year ago to do.  It was fortunate for him that he was at home to model them first, otherwise there might have been a danger of one leg finishing up shorter than the other. 

I'm not the tidiest person!              Using the embroidery function        Nearly, but you get the gist?

 
           Watching my Singer weave its magic

We've had another very productive week in the garden despite the unsettled weather.  After a one particularly heavy rainfall early in the week, I took a stroll down to the bee terraces as Scott was keen for me to look at the weeds he'd saved from the strimmer.  We've noticed that the bees love a particular kind for its charming purple and blue flower so we want to leave these alone until they stop flowering and drop their seed heads and then hopefully these 'weeds' will grow in abundance next Spring.  While I was down there, I picked up a rake and attempted to loosen some soil over a shallow gully which had formed in a previous storm. With our soil being heavy clay, I should have known better! Suffice to say, I'd have had better luck throwing a Greek Urn on a potters wheel than rake over a gully!  

                                     Saved from the strimmer: Bee food    Half the garden on the bottom of my Crocs

                                    Mr Forbes does some heavy duty strimming....and plants yet more lavender!

It's still mowing season so the meadow and orchard got another trim this week while Scott saw to some heavy duty strimming and weeding.  Now that we're officially permitted to visit our second homes, I'm desperate to get to 'del Olivar' and retrieve my petrol mower from the workshop.  I wouldn't say the one I'm currently using is cumbersome but with one of its four wheels jammed solid and flatly refusing to turn, I could liken mowing with it to driving a stubborn 3-legged donkey to market.  By the time I'd finished, I was red-faced and sweating like a sumo in a sauna! While I'm be happy to work off the extra pounds that the cake is putting on, my arms are telling me they're too worn out to lift another slice anyway!

                                          When the 3-legged mower obliges, the meadow finish looks quite professional

Our veggie patch is continuing its cyclical transformation from winter to summer crops.  I'm still learning too and whilst selecting some vegetables to put in a curry, one memorable conversation this week went something like this: 

Me: Darling, these leeks are going a funny colour and they smell ever so strong.
Scott: That's because they're garlic!

(In my defence, the plants look very similar!)

Mr Forbes is so proud of his first crop of french beans, he's been trying for years to grow them!

Another crop of veg picked for supper: cabbage, onions and leeks (not garlic! lol)

Our  time in the garden this week finished with a check on the bees who seem quite at ease now with me opening up the hive to peer in.  Only one of the hives needed a new foundation frame. Now that I've developed a knack for keeping the smoker alight for longer than 10 minutes, I don't visit the hive without it as it does distract the bees' attention away from their dive bombing missions. 

New foundation frames with their waxed sheets, ready to put in the hives

A bee keeper's outfit is hardly "haute couture"....

...especially when it involves borrowing hubby's trousers (belted up a la 80's style!)

And now for some randoms:


Our Peach and Apricot trees are bearing fruit and will soon be ready for picking

Campo currency oranges

When not following us around the garden, Humbug and Fudge spend the rest of the time napping

A good end to the day: a cool gin and tonic with limes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wilma's Message To The World

  I don't know why I have never formally introduced my pets to this Blog. Perhaps I should have, before now, because if I had you would ...